The church stables used to stand in close rows behind the cottages and on the outskirts of Gammelstad. When the first detailed map was produced in 1817 there were around 500 cottages and 350 stables. When the first detailed map was produced in 1817 there were around 500 cottages and 350 stables. Many cottagers shared a stable with neighbors or relatives. They used to say they had the stables “in teams”.
In the 1920s bus routes were laid on to Gammelstad, which meant that the need for stabling was reduced. Many stables disappeared and in 1932 there were only 80 left. Several of these were sawn up for firewood during the shortages of the Second World War and today only six are preserved.