Remnants of the old means of transportation
The church stables used to stand in close rows behind the church cottages and in the outskirts of the church town. When the first detailed map was produced in 1817 there were around 500 cottages and 350 stables in the area. Many church cottage owners shared a stable with their neighbors or relatives, they used to say they had stables “in teams”.
In the 1920s buses started operating the route to Gammelstad, which meant that the need for horses was reduced. Many stables were demolished and in 1932 there were only 80 left. Several of these were taken down and used as firewood during the shortages of the Second World War and today only six stables remain.